Saturday, July 11, 2009

Origins and Evolution

I was born by the river, in a little tent and just like the river I've been running ever since...That's not true. Those words, the opening lyrics to Sam Cooke's A Change is Gonna Come just kind of popped into my head. I was born in a small town in South Carolina--named after a Scandinavian country of all things. I haven't lived there in a lot of years and though I cherish the memories that I have about growing up there, it's really become quite a dump. I wish my parents would move away. But, such is life. Growing and moving. Learning and adapting. I think that eventually I'll be able to get them to move away. I just hope it's not after they've become old and too feeble to enjoy life in the city where I'm living at that point in time.

I'm 32 years old and I swear, I feel more and more my age with each year that goes by. I'm fairly physically fit though my southern-ness has imbued me with a love for delectable plates of greasy, fatty food that requires that I workout often. When I fall off of the exercise wagon, it seems those extra ten pounds that stalk me like Marion Barry(allegedly) quickly find their way back into my arms and cheeks and thighs, etc. But, when I get on a workout "kick", I tend to go very hard and in no time at all, those stalkers are nothing more than an after-thought.

I am a news junkie though I am deeply disappointed in the way the media has seemed to morph into a government mouth-piece over the past 10 years or so. Fox News for George W. Bush, now everybody else for Barack Obama. It's a little scary to me. In one of Professor Halavais's posts at the Writing for Interactive Media blog, he mentions how it is bogus for a journalist to claim that she is simply reporting what she sees. I agree, but what we have witnessed in the way of media bias over the past decade is a bit nauseating to me, but I digress from the original purpose of this post--the origins of Shana.

I'm an eldest child so I admittedly tend to be just a tad bit on the bossy side...okay, maybe a bit more than a tad but that's debatable and you'd do yourself well not to argue with me. I'm pretty good at it, or so they say. The losers that is. I grew up with a deep desire to practice law. Sometimes, I still feel those pangs. I haven't ever told that to anyone else. That I still feel those pangs every now and again, but it's true. I don't think I have it in me to go to law school at present though, so unless they come up with some sort of six week correspondence course that lets one earn a law degree, I don't think I'll be heading down that path in this lifetime. Fresh episodes of Law and Order (I have a bias towards SVU) and Nintendo DS games (I own a pink one) with a legal slant will have to suffice.

I live in Maryland now and I work in Washington, DC. I love the area. I love the richness of the history of the city and what it stands for. Maybe some of it is this seemingly insatiable news jones I've got, but there never seems to be a dull moment in this town. There's no bright lights and glitz and glamour like New York City or Los Angeles, but my goodness when you can drive right past a hotel where you know some politician used to do his dirty deeds, the realization of the close proximity to where power corrupted its owner is breathtaking.

Speaking of breathtaking, I absolutely love traveling, especially to areas with gorgeous architecture or natural landmarks and parks and such. I haven't traveled nearly as much as I plan to before it's time to cash in my chips, but I try to get to a few places each year. So far this year, I've been to Montreal, Canada (nice) and Phoenix, Arizona (blah). Maybe my "blah" about Phoenix isn't really fair because I didn't spend as much time as I should have exploring the desert landmarks and I didn't have time to make it out to the Grand Canyon. I think I'll check the Canyon out when next I'm in Vegas. I'm hoping to make it to London or someplace similar (as if huh?) in the Fall. I tend to plan vacations with only a two to three week head start and it all comes together rather quickly, but the planning is always feverish because I hate to arrive to a location without at least some semblance of a plan.

I'm in this Interactive Communications program because I feel as though I need some new skills where public relations and communications are concerned. I just finished taking a class on Interactive Development and though it was very exhausting, it was exhilarating at the same time because I learned so much so quickly. I kind of taught myself how to use Dreamweaver, at a pretty basic level. I'm really looking forward to learning how to use that program for more than tossing up text and some pictures. I'm almost certain that it is useful for more than what I managed to use it for in the course.

When I finally hit the jackpot in either the Megamillions or Powerball, I'm going to toss my cell phone in the nearest dumpster, after I give my mother, father, brother, sister, two nieces and nephew their portion of my earnings, and hit the road. I'm not even going to buy a place. I'm just going to rent cottages or other small homes/apartments in each city or country that I visit, then turn my keys in and just keep it moving. I think life is better spent outside the box. Now, if only I could find my way back out of this one they keep putting me in... --Shana

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading this. It feels authentic--I feel like I can hear the you in there talking. I often used to tell students they should write as they speak, but that isn't true. I really wanted them to write as they spoke in some idealized world. You're not quite there, but you're very close.

    A critique, a suggestion, and a concern:

    It doesn't hang together as a whole as well as it might. I come away from this getting the feeling I know you, and that is really good. And you have me ready to listen all the way through. (Well, with a little bit of flagging attention in the 6th paragraph.) I think the paragraphs work really well individually, but it feels pretty meandering beyond the paragraph level.

    Not sure I dig the intro. This is one of those cases where you might have launched in with out the distraction, even if amusing. Just a thought--how would this have changed if you started with your last paragraph?

    Lastly, you have a very strong voice here, and as I said in the introduction, I think good writing is good in all contexts. That said, how comfortable are you with code-switching, moving into a more formal diction? You might take a run at that in the next week. I'm not saying that the colloquial voice isn't good, or that it should be avoided. On the contrary, I prefer to write as I am writing here: as if I'm communicating with a real person. But it's important to be able to take this level of authenticity, and be able to include it in a diction and style that will be interpreted as more formal, as well.

    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I wish I had been able to make it home in time for the conference call this evening. I was thinking that it was okay to come at this in a more informal style, but I think I can manage to make things more formal while maintaining my own voice. Thanks for the suggestions and the honest critique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to be clear, I don't *prefer* a more formal style, I just think you write well and want to make sure you are equally comfortable with both.

    ReplyDelete