Sunday, July 12, 2009

Who Wouldn't Want to Be a Baker?


For a while, my friends and I had a running joke that we should just quit our current jobs and apply for positions as baristas at Starbucks. No more of the political posturing. No more having to stay late in the evenings to finish a project that’s due the next morning. No, we’d just work out shifts at one of the thousand or so Starbucks in our individual cities, making Chai tea lattes—“180 degrees, no water, skim milk, and a pump of caramel.” In between making various and sundry hot beverages for our oft-demanding “clients”, we would read copies of the latest issue of Vogue and dream of what might have been, all the while believing that the joke was on everyone else because we were the ones living the good life.


Now though, I’m beginning to think that maybe a position as a Starbucks barista isn’t the best, living life with no cares, contingency plan. I am now convinced that the job of a baker has to be one of the best jobs in the world. I mean, what’s to hate or even dislike? Admittedly, some of the shifts for bakers would require an adjustment period. For instance, one job that posting that I found for a baker at Einstein Bros. Bagels in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania noted that the hours are from 2am to 10am. Not too appealing, but here’s how the rest of the advertisement reads:
Bakers must be able to multi-task, adhere to product recipes and specifications and have strong hand-eye coordination. Bakers must demonstrate a commitment to company standards to product quality and availability. We are looking for a candidate who can be passionate about baking daily our award-winning bagels!
Physical requirements include the ability to lift weight up to 50 pounds, tolerate heat blasts and tolerate cooler temperatures.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a scratch-baker or pastry chef position. This is a permanent, long-term opportunity (temporary candidates need not apply). No experience necessary - we will train the right candidate.
Is that it? The ability to tolerate heat blasts and cooler temperatures are the most demanding aspects of the job? They even give you the recipes! No need to brainstorm with others on the team to figure out how to make the bagels chewy enough, leading to an argument about whether to use an extra cup of flour here or there. Just read the recipe and make some oven magic happen.


Working in a bakery would also be very pleasing to the senses. The smell of fresh baked breads and sweet treats must be such a nice environment to work in. After a while, the desire to nosh on baked goods all day must subside, so that doesn’t concern me as a possible occupational hazard. I think the ability to quietly bake my goods with a little music playing in the background, then put on the finishing touches and prepare them to be eaten by sugar-craving customers sounds heavenly.


The greatest headache that any baker would have to endure would have to be a broken oven, running out of the goods necessary to creating finished products and the occasional burn, which should only happen in moments of carelessness. Other than that, the life sounds very relaxing. Even for those bakers who have to work at places like Einstein Bros. or Dunkin Donuts, with very early morning shifts, life sounds sweet. Once the shift is over at 10am, the rest of the day is yours to use as you please. No more scrambling to make it to the post office before they close at 6pm after you get off work. No more trying to figure out how to squeeze in that routine, but important doctor’s appointment without being absent from work. It just all sounds like a win, win situation. You get the ability to create something that can be somewhat artistic, near instant, unbiased feedback on your work after customers start buying, a relaxing work environment and a great shift to add to it all! What could be better?
[Image courtesy of: Martha's Country Bakery.]

2 comments:

  1. This follows on a conversation I had with my spouse recently. We live down the street from a fantastic little bakery and there is something very appealing about that. Sometimes, when I have to catch an early flight or something, I'll go out for a walk with the dog at 4am and it is the only lit shop on Broadway, the windows steamed over as they work on the day's bread.

    But I worry that as the baker I would become bored very quickly. I think I would like to own a bakery, and live over it, waking up to that smell every day. I would still get up to do the baking some mornings, but if 2am came too soon, I would know I was covered. I could talk with the customers, get to know the regulars.

    Yes, that means I'd still have the worries I have today: planning and budget and hiring and firing and health inspections, and building improvements... but as much as I hate all that, I have a feeling I'd miss it.

    My spouse used to work for the guy who founded Sunglass Hut. He made millions, bought a beautiful house in Kauai, and walked on the beach every day. After six months he was bored to death and started a new business. I am not a driven entrepreneur, but I do know I get bored easily, and so I think I would love being a baker while I was learning the trade, and then quickly want to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, how in the world could you get bored as a baker?! lol You can design and decorate to your heart's content if you have the skills. You could even come up with new and exciting ways to sell your wares. The problem with the guy who started Sunglass Hut is that is sounds as though he decided he wasn't going to do anything anymore. That would drive me insane as well.

    The truth is, I'll bet working in a major bakery or cafe that sells baked goods is more demanding than I can imagine.

    ReplyDelete